Are you Curious about Becoming a Foster Family?
Amara is here for you every step of the way.
Choosing to parent kids in foster care as an Amara family is the first step in a profound journey that will change their lives—and yours. As an Amara family, you’ll receive high-quality training, services, and ongoing support.
Learn more by attending an Amara Information Meeting (AIM) which will address all your questions and help you determine if Amara is the right organization for you.
Many of your questions may also be answered in our Frequently Asked Questions. Or feel free to contact us directly!
Amara believes in an inclusive definition of family. We welcome families into our program regardless of marital status, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, home ownership, or education.
In order to work with Amara you must:
- Be 21 or older
- Have at least 2 bedrooms in your home or apartment (including your bedroom)
- Live within 2 hours driving distance from either our Seattle Office or Tacoma Office
- Attend an Amara Information Meeting (AIM)
- Complete an Application
Our expert Amara staff are available to assist at all stages of the application process!
- Attend Caregiver Core Training (CCT)
CCT is a competency-based training required for all licensed foster parents in Washington State.
Find out more about upcoming CCT training opportunities.
- Family Preparation and home study
This phase will educate and prepare you for foster parenting and adoption, certify your home for a foster home license, and complete the home study document.
- Child and family matching and placement
Our Foster Care Specialists work closely with families to find the right match for their home.
- Support throughout your time fostering
Amara Foster Care Specialists support families through in-home visits, personal contact and a supportive relationship. Amara also offers ongoing trainings for families and a monthly family support group.
*Whether your foster care journey moves toward reunification or adoption, Amara is there for you offering support and guidance and, if needed, Post-Adoption Services.
Have you fostered with Amara before? Email us for how to get started again.
We are also happy to answer any questions you may have. Contact Us anytime.
If fees present a challenge for any prospective family, they will be waived.
As a nonprofit organization, we rely largely on the philanthropic community to support our work. We are dedicated to providing your family with the highest level of care for a minimal fee. If you believe our fees are a barrier to your welcoming a child from foster care into your family, we can help.
- Application: $300 – Covers the cost to process your application and establish your fostering and adoption file with the required documentation.
- Family preparation + Child-family support: $1,200 – Fee contributes to the cost of our family preparation services, including training, home study, foster home licensing, and review and submission of documentation. The fee also contributes to the cost of our services to place a child or children into your home, support the ongoing adjustment and placement with your family, and prepare final documentation.
Total fees: $1,500
For questions, please contact Trey Rabun: firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.260.1732
* If you are an Amara family who is returning within two years from the date of file closure, you will not pay any further fees.
* If you are an Amara family who is returning after two years from the date of file closure, you will only pay the $300 application fee.