An Opportunity to Shine in Pierce County
In 2018, Amara purchased a 29-acre plot of land in Pierce County seeing it as a key moment to develop needed resources and support for children and families impacted by the foster care system.
It takes a community for children and families to thrive – and that’s why we need the community to come together, through our 2019 community engagement effort, to help build this opportunity for Pierce County.
With gratitude, we acknowledge the Puyallup Indian Tribe, a sovereign Indian nation, for whom this land has been the homeland for untold generations of Tribal members.
A Community Vision
Amara strongly believes that children and families most impacted by the child welfare system should play a meaningful role in developing the vision for this property.
- Every young person that steps onto the property should feel welcome and safe.
- The property should celebrate the diversity of ethnicities, cultures and languages in Pierce County, and every young person should see a part of themselves reflected here.
- The spirit and joy of childhood should be infused in every acre, reminding us what a family can do for a child and what a child can do for a community.
- The property should provide holistic services and activities that heal the mind, body and spirit.
- The property should be a center of strength for Pierce County children and families.
Leading with Racial Equity
While we welcome everyone’s ideas in this effort, we invite people of color, who are disproportionately impacted by the foster care system, to lead the conversation.
How can you get involved?
Throughout 2019, we are inviting community members to share ideas for how the Pierce County property could be developed and what services and activities could be offered to have the greatest impact on the well-being of children and families impacted by the foster care system. We’ll do this through:
- An online survey for everyone to lend their voice
- Interviews to hear the ideas of youth, parents and service providers
- Listening sessions to build dialog and creative ideas among community groups
- House meetings hosted by local community organizers to spark ideas and energy
Join our mailing list for updates and opportunities to get involved!
Want to learn more? Contact us at PierceCommunity@AmaraPutsKidsFirst.org