Major Gifts Officer, King County
Business Card Title: Donor Relations Officer
Amara works to ensure that every child in foster care has the love and support of a committed family – as quickly as possible, and for as long as each child needs. We work with foster and adoptive families who are committed to caring for children, whether for a month, a year, or a lifetime.
Amara is in the final year of our first-ever major campaign, raising the final $5 million of a $26.5 million comprehensive campaign. The campaign – A Promise – has increased Amara’s capacity to serve children in foster care, and the families who support them, and has expanded our visibility and donor opportunities for the future. To help complete the campaign and carry our success forward, Amara is currently hiring an experienced Major Gifts Officer (MGO) to build relationships and work with donors in King County and the broader northern Puget Sound region.
The MGO is responsible for securing funds to advance Amara’s mission by fulfilling the interests and passions of donors with capacity to give leadership gifts. The MGO will be expected to provide donors with giving opportunities, encourage donors to give, and will work to assure that as many donors as possible are retained as continuing donors to Amara and that their engagement is increased as measured by giving and mission involvement.
Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strive for equality and justice in the way people are treated and the opportunities they have to succeed by working to address racism, unequal treatment and other barriers to inclusion. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds (including communities of color, the LGBTQ community, veterans, and people with disabilities) to apply and join us in our work.
The Major Gifts Officer reports to the Chief Philanthropy Officer as part of the Development team. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Qualify a caseload of donors from within the Amara donor database and as on-going donor relationship opportunities arise
• Create individual goals for each donor within the MGO caseload based on the donor’s history of giving and Amara’s knowledge of the donor’s potential
• Build relationships with each donor to deepen Amara’s knowledge of the donor’s interests and capacity; relationship engagement will be in-person, by phone, and digitally
• Create an individual engagement plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational plan for each qualified donor. Faithfully and on a timely basis execute the plan so that individual donors are retained and their engagement and giving is increased
• Work with Amara’s program and clinical staff and Communications Team to secure program and project information, including budgets, and create meaningful offers, proposals, and asks that will be used with donors on the MGO’s caseload to secure gifts and report back on how the donor’s gift is making a difference
• Perform other major donor activities, including creating monthly reports that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
The MGO will be measured by the following:
• Ability to qualify donors from the larger Amara donor database that meet our major gift criteria
• Ability to create reasonable financial goals for each donor, based on current giving and potential
• Ability to create a personal contact and solicitation plan for each donor within the caseload, that considers the individual donor’s passions, interests, motivations, giving patterns, and ask preferences. Ability to execute this plan in a timely and cost-effective manner which results in retention and increased donor giving and engagement
• Ability to secure project and organizational information and create and write effective offers, proposals, and solicitations. Ability to secure information that can be sent back to donors to report on how their giving made a difference
• Ability to create timely reports that reflect caseload performance and manage processes, deadlines, and budgets while adhering to Amara’s policies and procedures
• Ability to collaboratively work with the Development Department, peers, and management, and maintain a positive and constructive approach while solving problems. Ability to be a team player and protect and advance Amara’s mission, goals, and values
The ideal candidate has demonstrated success fostering donor relationships with caseloads of approximately 150 donors and securing five to seven figure gifts. Amara is also seeking candidates who are driven by providing exception customer service; enjoy a collaborative environment; are committed to advancing Amara’s goals in diversity, equity, and inclusion; and are passionate about Amara’s mission.
We list our preferred qualifications and are open to candidates who can demonstrate their experience and/or education that supports their alignment with the skills we are seeking.
• 5+ years in nonprofit fundraising with previous major gifts experience preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• A successful track record of qualifying donors, building relationships, retaining donors, and securing leadership level gifts
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated experience managing a donor caseload, including prioritization, taking initiative, and managing time to meet outcomes
• Ability to work some evening and weekend hours as needed for events and meetings
• Ability to travel and transport one’s self to donor visits
• Goal-oriented, resourceful, flexible, positive, collaborative, and good humored
• Commitment to ethical standards in fundraising and the Donor Bill of Rights
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience working with financial systems and donor databases; eTapestry and Raiser’s Edge experience a plus
• Commitment to and ability to represent Amara’s mission and values and promoting social justice
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $72,000-$94,000. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life and disability insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include the words “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line of your email. In your submission, please indicate how you learned of this posting. No phone calls, please. Applications will be welcomed and reviewed until the position is filled.
Amara is an equal opportunity employer.