Associate Director of Foster Care Services
Amara works to ensure that every child in foster care has the love and support of a committed family – as quickly as possible, and for as long as the child needs.
The Associate Director of Foster Care Services plays a vital role in ensuring the Foster Care program is running effectively and efficiently. The ideal candidate is passionate about sharing Amara’s commitment to supporting children as they enter, experience, and transition out of foster care, as well as the families who love them. They will have strong interpersonal, clinical, and administrative skills, enjoy working to improve processes and have the ability to engage with a variety of stakeholders including foster families, DCYF colleagues, and Amara team members.
If you are energized by the Amara mission, and thrive on creating and following through on ambitious plans in service to improving children’s well-being, we would love to hear from you.
Amara believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strive for equity and justice in the way people are treated and the opportunities they have to succeed by working to address racism, unequal treatment, and other barriers to inclusion. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds (including communities of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with varying abilities) to apply and join us in our work.
The Associate Director of Foster Care Services reports to the Director of Foster Care Services and works closely with Amara’s Foster Care Services team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Supervision and Management (50-60%)
- Oversee and support Family Time and Child Placement Services, including supervising coordinators and ensuring that services provided are high quality, consistent, and responsive to child and family needs
- SAFE (Structured Assessment Family Evaluation) evidence based homestudy lead for Foster Care Team—including conducting a minimum of 2 SAFE home studies per year.
- In tandem with Director, provide phone and in-person support to prospective and current foster families as needed; pre-application and when requested by staff and/or family due to issues presented
- Partner with the Director of Foster Care Services to ensure proper investigation and handling of DLR/CPS investigations, are readily available for ad-hoc staffings, and that bi-monthly clinical meetings meet program needs
- Coordinate hiring and onboarding of Foster Care Services staff
Operational Management (20-30%)
- Track overall performance of Foster Care Services staff and audit survey responses to ensure service consistency and application of best clinical and ethical practice standards
- Identify, recommend, and implement program and process improvement in concert with team
- Licensing content area expert and Amara/DLR liaison
- Identify and implement ways to ensure connection and consistency between the Pierce and King County Foster Care Teams
- Coordinate with Communications team on media content regarding issues related to foster care
- Represent Amara in community and coalition meetings, events, and partner and donor meetings
- Serve on select internal committees
The Associate Director of Foster Care Services can be based in our King or Pierce County office and will be expected to have a presence at both campuses. The position requires some evening and weekend hours for community events, meetings, and presentations.
- MSW or MA/MS degree in a related field
- 4+ years of clinical experience providing trauma informed care
- 4+ years of experience in foster care, child welfare, or social services
- 2+ years of experience in supervision or administration of social services
- Strong clinical skills and experience providing clinical consultation
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to lead group meetings
- Ability to lead with initiative, discretion, maturity, flexibility and independent judgment
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the various cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of clients and staff
- Demonstrated leadership in promoting the advancement and development of diversity, equity, and inclusion in oneself, staff, and within program development
- Strong decision-making skills, including critical thinking skills. Demonstrated ability to think globally
- Experience writing home studies and/or knowledge of the SAFE (Structured Assessment Family Evaluation) home study model a plus
- Successful experience in program development and implementation preferred
Salary and Benefits
$60,000 – $65,000, DOE. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life and disability insurance.
- A chronological resume
- A cover letter highlighting what experience, skills, and/or personal characteristics qualify you for this position and why the mission of Amara appeals to you.
- A writing sample of 3-5 pages that highlights your clinical and written communication skills
Resumes submitted without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered.
Please submit materials to email@example.com and include the words “Associate Director of Foster Care Services” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position will remain open until filled.
Amara is an Equal Opportunity Employer